Open Letter to my Aspie





Today you started at a new school.  I know it was difficult for you because new things are difficult for people like us.  It’s difficult to adjust to being in a new place and dealing with new people.  I felt a little bad this morning when I left you….  You looked kind of terrified but I do know that prayer works because when I picked you up this afternoon you were beaming.

We had been looking for a place where we could go to school three days a week and work at home the other two days.  I can only surmise that it had to be a “God thing.”  I had a meeting with an associate that I had worked with in the past.  I almost cancelled the meeting because I was tired.  That would have been a tragedy because I never would have found your new school.  I received the recommendation about the school from the gentlemen I was meeting with.  Did I mention that prayer works?

I am so proud and happy about the progress you have made over the summer.  You are an amazing young man!  Few people understand how difficult daily life can be for “aspies” but trust me, I do.  I cannot shield you from everything but I can do my best to make life a little easier for you than it was for this grown up “aspie.”



So my son, my “Mini Me,” continue to mature and progress and know that I will always have your back; just as your grandma always had mine those many years ago. And I love you madly!
Author’s note: An “aspie” is someone who suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome now referred to as High Functioning Autism.  My son was diagnosed with the condition in January of this year and subsequently I have discovered that it is very likely that I also have the condition.  Asperger’s main “symptom” is lack of social skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're Opening Back Up Soon in a New Location

We're Starting The New Year With FREE TUTORING!

What the Heck is "Dancing for Dollars?"