Money vs Principles



Money is important but it should never be so important that you sacrifice your beliefs and principles.”  Holly Cooper

So today is the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington.  It started me thinking about a few things…  I am a freelance writer.  I “sell” my blogs to websites that agree to pay me…minimally.  I write for one particular website which I will refrain from mentioning because in this litigious society, I can’t afford to get sued.  My point is this.  I have been noticing some rather racially charged posts recently on this particular site.  I am a writer.  I am all about free speech but when it appears to me that they are publishing this garbage like it is news rather than opinion, that’s where I draw the line.  I’m doing some big things and I’m pretty sure I don’t want my name associated with this garbage.  Now I’m far from stupid and I can see that these “controversial” posts generate quite a few “hits or clicks.”  Advertisers love it because it means more eyes on their ads.  The website loves it because it means more money for them.  Of course the blogger loves it because it means more money for him but what happens to truth in all this?   The blogger in this one case has cited facts and research to support his ridiculous assertions.  I dare say anyone can find a decent researcher and statistician to make the numbers support his/her bs.  I am not bothered by this “genius” expressing his opinions.  Every idiot is entitled to his opinion.  What bothers me is this crap being listed under news.
Let me bring it on home for everyone.  Today, on this anniversary of a march that was in part to bring awareness to the economic disparity in this country that still exists by the way; I am willing to sacrifice a few bucks to stand on principle vs making money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're Opening Back Up Soon in a New Location

We're Starting The New Year With FREE TUTORING!

What the Heck is "Dancing for Dollars?"