Essence Festival 2013 Part 2

Friday morning started with a nice, leisurely and totally free breakfast at the hotel.  The weather was not favorable for spending much time outside until this afternoon so it was the perfect opportunity to spend the day exploring the exhibits.  Fortunately, there was quite a bit going on inside the convention center at the Essence Empowerment Experience.  For example, MSNBC is broadcasting many of their shows directly from the convention center.  It was enjoyable seeing people like Al Sharpton, Alex Wagner and Chris Matthews up close.  There was an opportunity to take pictures with them and get books signed but honestly, I just didn’t have the patience.

It seemed as though every large exhibit had a disc jockey spinning tunes.  This led to a great deal of noise and it also made me think about my friend… the late, great, DJ Saxwell.  I had the opportunity to dance and attempt to learn a new line dance.  Not much luck with the latter…  They were giving away a lot of things for free including beer at the Coors Light booth, yay!  That was rather nice for me and it is worth noting that Coors Light is a corporate sponsor for several of the HBCUs.  Yet another reason for me to like them.

Friday afternoon, we went to the world famous Bourbon Street and I  finally got my seafood - fried Gulf oysters.  I also consumed a good amount of alcohol today but not too much.  Friday we went to the concert and ended up with seats on the floor.  In the midst of all that fun, I couldn’t help thinking about the horror that took place in the Superdome.  It’s difficult not to remember all the human suffering that went on there during Hurricane Katrina…

I almost forgot the most exciting yet nerve-wrecking part of the night - taking a pedi-cab back to the hotel.  Weaving in and out of traffic on busy New Orleans streets has nothing on the most thrilling theme park ride!

In spite of her faults, New Orleans is one of my favorite places to visit along with Atlanta and Las Vegas.  After all, New Orleans is known for their expertise at throwing great parties and I am known as someone who likes to go to parties.

First day at Essence


Main floor at the convention center


The world famous Bourbon Street





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're Opening Back Up Soon in a New Location

We're Starting The New Year With FREE TUTORING!

What the Heck is "Dancing for Dollars?"